Saturday 6 April 2013

Review: Vain

VainTitle: Vain
Author: Amelie Fisher
Rating: 8,5/10
Extra info: startdate: 05/04/2013
            finishdate:06/04/2013
            #pages: 355
to read the synopsis click here.

Review: It is going to take me a while to come down from this book, I can already tell. I noticed I've been dropping a lot of books lately, because most of them honestly just couldn't keep my interest. That being said, it is already something I did not put this book down. The cover is not immedeatly one of my favorites, but I liked the synopsis. A lot. Why? Because this is a book where one can finally see things through the bad guy (or in this case, girl)'s eyes. I personally hate antagonizing*, and this book showed a little peak into the heads of those cliché characters, however briefly. I loved the story because it was about a change, it didn't shy away from real world problems or death, it didn't follow the usual seemingly prescribed storyline all YA's (young adult books, for those who don't know) have now. there is a lot to love about this book and it will captivate you for sure, even if you just want to forget about your problems and be swept away. You might not think it would, considering there are orphans with missing limbs in this book, and the setting is no less than a poor country/village in Africa, but this book will most definetly restore your faith in humanity. There was one thing that bothered me though, and that was near the end. Or actually, it was the end, for it was really just a last minute wrap up of the story.
*spoiler*
When Sophie went back home to get to court, she didn't tell Ian why, instead there we went again with the self-sacrificing -uuughh- she let him believe it was her who betrayed him, when really, she could've just explained the situation and everything would've been just freakin fine! But they did get the happy ending because Ian's mom suddenly explained everything to Ian, just out of the blue, no reason. Da eff? that's a bad ending if I ever see one.
Despite that, I really liked this book and would recommend it

Recommendation: to anyone who has to restore their faith in humanity, is jelly of upperclass people, hates upperclass people, wants to save the world or just poor people or just Africans, wants a sweet lovestory or likes helping in orphanages (who? what? No, if you're one of those, I expect you to get enough satisfaction in actually doing just that, instead of reading about it, jeesh)

No comments:

Post a Comment