Thursday 9 May 2013

Review: Ten Tiny Breaths

Title: Ten Tiny Breaths
Author: K.A. Tucker
Rating: 8/10
Extra info: Start date: 06/05/2013
              Finish date: 09/05/2013
              #pages: 262
To read the blurb click here.

Review: What did I think of this book? I liked it, I really did, but I also didn't. I generally liked the book because it is realistic to a certain extent (meaning it could happen in real life, but only to few). It dealt with emotions very well. Tragedy has happened to the main character and she lives in a constant state of denial. This book is the story of normal people who turn crazy and help each other become sane again. I really liked the ending, in which she was able to forgive. I could totally understand her when she was certain she could never ever forgive the three college boys that had accidentally killed her parents, boyfriend and best friend, yet as she came to see it was an accident and such, I could also easily imagine her forgiving them, which is not an easy thing to do. But I also didn't like the book because it was a little bit depressing and you get very tired from living in denial, and so I was getting tired myself. Also, when a friend asked me what book I was reading at the moment, I didn't like it when I explained the plot. About a girl who has no luck at all and acts tough and the cliché happens, she meets a guy (!! no girl, incidentally) who makes her feel alive and they fall in love. When it's good it's great and when it's bad, you get totally shocked by the plot twist ... but that's what makes it equally realistic and unrealistic. I love the fact that there was a shrink helping her in the end. I liked the shrink (I want to become a psychologist later on, so this makes sense, naturally) and I loved that she went to college to become one too, to help people with post traumatic stress disorder, people like her former self. I'd have liked it even more if the guy she fell in love with, who eventually helped her heal - but there were major issues going on - was out of her life forever. I mean, I know they were obviously meant for each other, but it'd have been nice if there was at least one book in which the main characters help each other out in their lifes and then move on. So the main character (I-figure) can look back at her life and think it was a turning point which helped her along and healed her in many aspects, but nothing more. I guess it'd comfort me that there are no expectations that when you meet the one and it doesn't work out, you absolutely have to MAKE it work or else you are simply not able to live. A sort of independence I guess. But that's all besides the point. The point is I liked and disliked this book, but even though I disliked it, I still liked it more than the other books I've been reading in the past year or so.

Recommendation: Read when... read when you feel like life is hell and it can't get any worse, or when something bad has happened and you feel like you're never going to get over it, or when you think you can never forgive someone who's done something bad to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment